Friday, July 29, 2011
It was super hot and sticky last week, almost unbearably so, and so we sought out pools.
Travis loves the water!
The swimmies were just a tad too big, otherwise he would have been good to go on his own. We gave them a try, though.
Carina started out this season afraid of the water.
However, by Friday, she was on her own (with swimmies, of course) and even wanted to try with only one on.
Rian started the season clinging on to someone's neck..and now is off on her own. They have really made great progress.
Michael is loving the pool. He gets in and out on his own..has jumped in off the side and is working on using just one swimmie. All the kids have been doing a great job, it is exciting to watch.
Keep it up, little fishies!!
Posted by Stacie at 9:11 AM
Monday, July 25, 2011
A few tidbits, as promised, from ENOCH
From the Keynote by Kevin Swanson:
A Few Reasons to Homeschool
- You can take vacation whenever you want
- You can pray whenever you want
- The Ten Commandments can be hung on every wall if you so wish
- All the kids can be in the same level
- You can have a class reunion whenever you want
- There are no school bullies to worry about
- You can wear your pjs if you are so inclined and don't have to worry about school uniforms
- Bring your guns to school
- Don't have to worry about missing the bus. Ever.
- The staff can make out in front of the class
Some of that is just fun and funny..but has a ring of truth as well.
- CARE AND LOVE are the key to educating your child
- Homeschoolers are above the national average by 39%
- Videophilia (sp?) is a real problem--(the desire to be around screens all the time)
- Sometimes goals can be good..but also can be the enemy of the best!!
- Return to boredom. Boredom breeds industriousness.
- You use more brain power staring at a blank wall than in watching tv
- Textbooks have an AGENDA
- Not all great minds are good. Some great minds are evil.
- There is no such thing as individuality in public schools
- Plan when you can. Record when you are able.
From Andrew Pudewa's Nature Deficit Disorder:
In order to learn anything one must:
- have attentive perception
- contemplation-process info-comprehend
- conceptualization-connections that make sense
- representation-re-present it to others via words, pictures, music etc.
And there are just a few interesting tidbits.
Posted by Stacie at 11:12 AM
Monday was Michael's actual birthday.
5 years old!!
A couple more presents to open.
Michael loves animals and nature stuff..not to mention mazes and puzzles.
He had been asking for one of these since he played with one at the midwives office for Travis' (my) postpartum visit.. :)
Last but not least...
He is doing so well with the tee ball!!
I have a couple of pictures of that to come.
Look out MLB!!
Posted by Stacie at 10:50 AM
As I said in an earlier post, for Father's Day, we got Mike a tent..to feed his camping addiction.
Again, we're beginning with backyard camping.
So one Friday night, Mike and the kids set up camp and slept outdoors.
Travis and I stayed inside.
We were experimenting with face paints too, to make sure that they were set to go for Michael's birthday party.
More wood for the fire..
and they were ready to go.
Posted by Stacie at 10:30 AM
Monday, July 18, 2011
The kids had been asking to go to this new playground by "Mommy's school," for months. I kept saying we could go once school was out.
So, school was out and we went. This playground is still in the works--there have been additions since we went a few weeks ago. But let me tell you, its pretty stinking nice. It would have to be near the top on playground I would like to go back to. It has a lot of cool stuff and things that lend themselves to imaginative play.
There is a section for older kids and a section for younger kids, which is always nice.
Rian and Travis were sleeping in the car at this point. So you won't see them in too many pictures.
There is one little area dedicated to music!! Awesome!
A Xylophone type thing, drums, pipes..fun, fun, fun!!!
Love the face, Bean!
The tower where Michael was trapped by the dragon!
They woke up! Here is Rian in the smaller section.
Definitely going back there.
I can't wait to see the other equipment that has been installed!
Posted by Stacie at 11:21 PM
On the 4th of July, we went to a family picnic for a few hours in the afternoon. I did not take any pictures. Sorry. After we left, we went home, picked up a few things and unpacked a few things. Then headed to a lawn concert down the road which ended in fireworks.
There were two separate bands.
They were pretty good.
I also got a chance to chat for a minute to some former co-workers.
Daddy and the kids.
The little kids.
Grandma and Grandpa came up for the concert and fireworks.
Thanks for the popcorn!
I did not get a single good shot of the fireworks this year.
Guess I'll have to try again next year.
Mike also got the kids glow sticks.
Rian was using hers to go fishing off of Grandma's lap.
What did you do to celebrate our country's birthday??
Posted by Stacie at 11:12 PM