Thursday, January 20, 2011

THOUGHTS ON WATERBIRTH

So, awhile back I promised I would share about my waterbirth experience.  I have a picture of the tub on my camera..but alas!!  We figured out that the memory card I have is not compatible with this computer and I'm unable to scan at the present time..so there it stays.  Anway, I was searching for pictures of tubs used in waterbirth..maybe even the one I used at the hospital, and I had to laugh.  All of the captions regarding waterbirth say things like, "natural, gentle, pain-reducing, serene.." You get the picture.  They make it sound like it will be all flowers and sunshine. 

False. 

Giving birth is painful.  To the extreme.

I've heard say something to the effect that-- Childbirth is the pain most easily forgotten.  I have to disagree.  Can any of you Moms out there honestly say you've FORGOTTEN that pain??!!  I certainly haven't.  But I can say it was all worth it.  Children are a blessing.

Waterbirth did not change the pain aspect.  It didn't feel any less painful.  The benefit I found was in the ability to move around.  (Not that I did--I pretty much clamped in one spot), but I actually was in a position I "wanted" to be in though--NOT strapped to a bed or hindered by monitors etc.  Supposedly, waterbirth is better for the baby--coming from water into water..and supposedly birthing in water is more conducive to stretching your body.  It was also "nice" that I was able to catch Travis as he surfaced.  That was pretty awesome.  He came out and the midwife gave him a gentle push and I was able to catch him.  Another benefit was that I didn't have to give him up right away--the water was warm enough that we sat there for a little while and he had his first "bath."  It was more "relaxing" afterwards for me as opposed to being on a bed.

Now, a definite drawback--in that "bath" was disgusting (!!!!) water--I'm sure you can imagine without my going into detail what was in that water that Travis and I were sitting in.  GROSS!!  It was like sitting in a big, dirty toilet and some.  TMI?  Sorry.  That really was the only drawback in my book.  Would I do it again?  Probably, if I had the option.  And that concludes my thoughts at this time.  Your thoughts?

No comments: