Tuesday, January 4, 2011

6 WEEKS

Today, Travis is 6 weeks old.
Last night he slept for his longest stretch yet--8 hours!
What a good boy!!
He still has quite an appetite..but we finally found a pacifier he will take so I'm not a human pacifier so much anymore..and it frees up quite a bit of time.

We don't go to the doctor yet for another couple of weeks so I don't have any stats..but we can certainly say he is growing!  Some of the smaller outfits/onesies are already too snug to wear.  
It looks like he is going to have brown eyes like Rian (and myself)..

So, birthing with a midwife.  Just a few comments.
It was quite different from having a doctor.
She was around at regular intervals just to check in..
and she didn't rush off, she would stay and "chat."
I had options.
I like having options.

Also,( maybe because I had male doctors previously, I don't know) 
she knew where I was coming from and what I was opposed to and why (episiotomy for example).
She also was more "involved." 
  
The "doctor births" I've had, have pretty much been nurses and then at the last minute the doctor comes in and delivers.  There is relatively no interaction.  Furthermore, the doctor (I had the same covering doc for both Michael and Rian) just did what HE thought was best without a word of warning or asking what I wanted...
not cool.

Anyway, I haven't decided whether or not I'm sticking with the midwives or not.  
What have your experiences, pros/cons been with either doctors or midwives??



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm definitely into midwives. Had them for all 4 kids. Didn't really like the first one so I went with another group for the other kids. I've always had complications, interventions etc., but at least I knew they were working with me and willing to try different things, I definitely avoided a c section with my first because I had a midwife, and the latest,Annika, would have been a c section as well if I had a dr. I just don't have babies easily, but at least they're healthy and my pregnancies are easy (relatively) glad you were happy with your experience. Btw your baby is adorable.
Lora


Lora