Saturday, June 21, 2014

OTHER ITEMS


In May, we also attended the annual homeschool convention as a family.
The hotel this year had a pool..
Instead of an outing on Saturday, Mike and the kids went swimming and then met up with me at the convention for lunch.
After that they headed to the airport to pick up my brother and his then-fiancee and her son.
I stayed until the convention closed and had a very quiet ride home.



Friday night, after checking in and wandering the convention hall for a brief time--
we headed to the Rainforest Cafe for dinner.
The kids were quite excited to go back after.

 

I have to say, I was pretty disappointed in the vendor turnout at the convention this year.
I went prepared to buy my whole history/art/music/language curriculum for the coming school year, but the vendor was not there this year.  I did pick up our science books and a few things from the used curriculum sale, but on the whole the vendor turnout was very poor.  I really, REALLY hope we can draw more vendors.  The speakers/workshops were decent.  Andrew Pudewa was pretty much the only "big" name, but most of the workshops I attended were pretty good.

Why not go to a different, larger convention?
Well, we talked about it and last year were even booked it (but had to cancel at last minute).
I feel like our convention NEEDS our support.
This is a great state to be homeschooling in, we should support it HERE.
The larger out of state conventions certainly don't need the support.
Yes, they have more to offer, but I don't homeschool in that state.
The laws there are completely different.
I don't know..we will see what happens come convention season.

Another event that happened in May!
We opened the pool!!

It looked like this:



Don't worry.  It doesn't look like that anymore.
I'm happy with the salt filter.
A week or so and it was crystal clear.
The kids have been in several times.
Mike has been in a couple..
I have not yet.

No comments: